Yesterday I had to take Mateo to the doctors. Not any doctor, mind you. We saw the allergy specialist (asthma control). Mateo has been having small flare-ups with his asthma lately. We figured we were doing everything we could. Usually within a week of heavy meds he's feeling better. This time was different. We weren't seeing progress, it was more of a decline.
I called to have some prescriptions filled and they said we should bring him in. It's been a little over a year since they've seen him. So they checked his vitals, did a breathing test and found that his intake (air) was low/below average. When the doctor came in we tried to figure out why. We went over our routine at home and that really wasn't a flag. Then the doctor noticed that Mateo grew 5 inches since he saw him last. Okay, I didn't know what that had to do with anything. The doctor then ask what his peak flow (device to measure lung capability) numbers were..."280", I say. the doctor tells us for his height, weight and age he should be blowing 350..."What"!! I've never seen him hit 300!!
So basically Mateo has been breathing at very low numbers. He has been coping with his asthma. It all makes sense now. He doesn't sleep very well, he can't wrestle with his Dad or brother without getting out of breath/exhausted, he complains of headaches and light-headness. Let me tell you, I felt horrible/sad that my son has been living like this for so long.
He is now on a new inhaler (stronger) and the doctor is going to monitor him every 1-3 months. The doctor says within weeks he should be at normal numbers. I really cannot wait for that day and I'm sure Mateo feels the same.
I tell ya, after coming home I was so stressed out. I know I shouldn't beat myself up but I just feel horrible when I miss something or don't follow my instinct.
Lesson learned!
1 comment:
Amazing how 5 inches makes a difference. At least you got him in and figured out what was going on. Don't beat yourself up, it happens. :) Hopefully he is back up to par in a few weeks.
Post a Comment